Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken by Laura Schenone

I've fallen a little behind on my book blog. I finished this book about a month ago. It's actually non-fiction, which I don't read that much. But it was engaging. And I sort of understood her crazy infatuation with getting the perfect, authentic, Genoa Ravioli. She's searching for her great grandmother's, who immigrated from Liguria, Italy (that's the northwestern, mountainous region just outside of Genoa), ravioli recipe. But she discovers it has philidelphia cream cheese in it, which of course they didn't have in Italy back then. This takes her on several trips to Liguria, trying to find the perfect, authentic recipe. It's not just the recipe she's after, but her heritage. Something that connects her to a longer past, and something she can had down to her kids. About discovering family secrets, and the story of Italian assimilation. And pasta - who knew it had such a history. It's an art all to itself. I admire that she was able to learn, through ALLOT of practice, to roll it out with a pin instead of using a pasta machine. It was just a lovely story.

No comments: